One of my best friends is graduating from Vet School in a few weeks. I asked her what flavor she wanted me to bring up to celebrate and of course she wanted one I had never even heard of before! She said, lavender-honey please? I did some research, found a few recipes and created this. After a few tweaks I think I finally have it. I never thought lavender in food was a good idea, but actually it is. It cuts some of the sweetness of normal baked goods and adds a floral type of savory.
- 1/2 cup butter
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons dried lavender (this is strong flavored/cut to two if you don’t want as much lavender)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup milk
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line eighteen 2- 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups.
- If you purchased dried lavender that is still in bigger form, make sure you dice it up in as thin of pieces as possible. This way your flavor spreads more evenly throughout the batter.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, the 2 teaspoons lavender, and the salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, honey, and vanilla; beat until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until mixture is combined. (Side note here: If you taste test the batter and feel like it doesn’t taste like lavender, remember that the lavender flavor comes out when baking. So don’t add more just because you don’t think it has enough in batter form – trust me I made this mistake!)
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- 6 ounces cream cheese
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
- Allow cream cheese and butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl beat cheese, butter, honey, and vanilla with mixer on medium until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency.
- Frost your cupcakes!