One of my coworkers husband’s requested that sometime during the holiday season I make some sort of peppermint cupcakes. So I searched some recipes and found one for vanilla cupcakes topped off with peppermint buttercream frosting and crushed peppermint candy. I thought that the cupcake needed a little peppermint to, so I played with the recipe a bit and this was my outcome. A perfect holiday dessert! I don’t even like peppermint and these turned out to be delicious.
- 1/4C unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2C granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4C milk
- 3/4C all purpose flour
- 2-3 tsps of peppermint extract
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2C powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2-3 Tbsp water or milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a mini muffin pan with liners.
- Cream together butter and granulated sugar.
- Add vanilla and egg whites.
- Slowly add 2-3 tsp of peppermint extract to taste.
- Once mixture is lump free, add remaining dry ingredients followed by milk. Mix until ingredients are just combined.
- Divide among 18-20 liners, roughly 3/4 full. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat together butter, powdered sugar and peppermint.
- Slowly add water/milk until desired icing consistency is reached. Cover well until ready to use. ( I also added a small amount of red food coloring to make the frosting a light pink color)
- Frost cupcakes once they have cooled completely.Peppermint Candy Note: If you are serving them another day then when you bake them, do not decorate with the candy until the day of. The peppermint will lose its red coloring into your frosting and look like this! Not near as pretty as the above 🙂