I love baking all sorts of unique recipes, especially with cupcakes! However, most of my family enjoy boring, original flavors. So I have officially given in and made one of their favorites. Yellow cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream. This is a very simple recipe and makes roughly 12 cupcakes.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or 1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt with 1/2 tsp of baking soda)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 and line your muffin pan with cupcake papers.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder,and salt in a bowl.
- Add butter, sour cream, egg, egg yolks, and vanilla together in a mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add the dry mixture and beat until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then mix completely by hand until no flour pockets remain and your batter is smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Divide batter evenly among cups of muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cupcakes are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I love chocolate, but I don’t typically like chocolate frosting, cake or ice cream. However, this is the kind of frosting you eat with a spoon. I got the recipe from the back of the Hershey’s cocoa powder. It was simple to put together and turned out creamy and delicious. It’s almost a dark chocolate flavor. I might be a chocolate buttercream lover yet!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter.
- Remove from heat and stir in cocoa powder.
- Transfer to your mixing bowl and alternately add powdered sugar and milk.
- Beat on medium speed
- Add vanilla last. You may need a little extra milk to reach your desired consistency.