One of my long time favorite dessert recipes is one I collected while I worked for Farm Bureau. This recipe comes from their Our Ohio website.
I am a huge fan of strawberries and chocolate so this is a very simple pie that combines those two things beautifully. It is also a great recipe to use when you have strawberries that are going bad. Since it is strawberry season I thought now would be a good time to share with you! From past experience I would start with the filling so it cools as you make the crust. It is the most time efficient way to do this pie. Also, make sure you prepare because this is best if it sits in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours to completely set right.
- 20 Oreo cookies, finely ground
- 2½ tablespoons melted butter
- dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 squares Dove dark chocolate, melted ( I sometimes use a lot more :))
- 1 3-ounce box strawberry gelatin
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water and ice
- 1 8-ounce thawed whipped topping
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, chopped
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place Oreo crumbs, melted butter, salt and vanilla in a 9-inch pie plate or a square glass pan.
- Gently mix with fork.
- Press mixture firmly on bottom and sides of pan.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until crisp.
- Cool completely.
- Drizzle melted dark chocolate over the cooled crust, gently spread with back of spoon.
For the filling:
- Chop berries; set aside.
- Add boiling water to gelatin mix; stir 2 minutes until completely dissolved.
- Add enough ice to cold water to make 1 cup.
- Add to gelatin; stir until slightly thickened.
- Remove unmelted ice.
- Whisk in thawed topping.
- Stir in berries.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes, until thick and will mound.
- Spoon over chocolate drizzled crust.
- Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Top with chocolate dipped strawberries OR 1 cup sliced berries with chocolate sauce drizzled over the top.