My father has a daughter who loves baking. Baking all sorts of new flavors and fun recipes. And he HATES “weird stuff.” He won’t eat any cupcake that has a filling, he won’t hardly ever eat icing and he is super picky if it is the least bit sweet. Therefore, there are very few cupcakes that I make he actually enjoys. This is the one recipe I know I can make and he will love every time. A simple red velvet cupcake with a not too sweet cream cheese frosting is just perfect for him. So EVERY time I make cupcakes for a party or event, I make red velvet just to give him what he calls a “normal” cupcake!
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl gently beat together the oil and sugar until combined. Then add eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the vanilla and food coloring.
- Reduce speed to slow and add flour mixture in three batches alternating with buttermilk, beating until combined after each.
- In a small bowl, stir together the baking soda and vinegar (it will foam) and then add to the batter and mix on medium speed until combined.
Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy