What makes you think of spring? Well fresh fruit and pastel colors make me think of spring. That is why I decided to make these cupcakes for Easter!
- 1 1/2 cup flour- sifted (all purpose)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries (pureed)
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 Cup milk – at room temp
- 1t lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter- at room temp
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg 2 large egg whites
- Strawberry Sauce (2/3 cup fresh strawberries pureed with 1/3 cup sugar)
Preheat oven to 350 Line mini muffin pan with cupcake liners
1. Combine milk, lemon juice, and vanilla- set aside
2. Whisk together Flour, baking powder, and salt- set aside.
3. In an electric mixer with paddle attachment cream butter until light and fluffy, gradually add in sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy.
4. on medium speed slowly add egg and egg whites until blended
5. add strawberries to milk mixture
6. Reduce to low and add in 1/2 flour mix- mix until just blended.
7. Add in milk and strawberry mix just until blended.
8. Add in remaining flour mix scraping sides as necessary just until blended.
9. put into pan and cook 18-22 min or just until done.
10. Put another 2/3 cup strawberries in a blender with 1/3 cup of sugar. Puree until it is a nice sauce. When cupcakes are cool, brush this sauce on the top before icing.
Whipped White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 C. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ½ C. powdered sugar (or more, depending on desired consistency)
- Pinch of salt
- 6 oz. good quality white chocolate, chopped (NOT white chocolate chips or candy melts!)
- ¼ C. heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- Put the chopped white chocolate into a small pan. Melt the chocolate with 1/2 stick of butter. You can also heat the chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave set to 60% power. Stir after each increment, and continue to heat 30 seconds at a time, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside and allow to completely cool.
- Once white chocolate has cooled, sift the salt and powdered sugar over the butter, in a large bowl. Cream the butter and sugar mixture together until light and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Measure the whipping cream into a cup, and stir in the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer running on low speed, gradually pour the cream mixture the bowl.
- Once the cream mixture has been incorporated into the frosting, fold on the melted (but cooled) white chocolate until incorporated.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium-high, and beat frosting for an additional 3 minutes.
- Makes about 2 ½ cups of frosting.
I added some strawberry sauce, cut strawberries and a Hershey’s egg on top for Easter!